"It's been THREE DAYS!" I screamed at her. "THREE DAYS!! And you keep telling me we're going to be okay? We're running out of food, we don't even HAVE water. Not to mention we have some crazy pirate trying to kill us, and could be anywhere in these woods!"
"Oh, so you're going to just give up?" Gretel cried. "You're not even going to try to find our way home?" She kicked a rock in my general direction, but we all know girls have bad aim. "Why are you yelling at me, anyway? It's that evil woman who left us out here by ourselves!"
"I wouldn't yell at you if you would shut up about getting out of here, because it's obviously never going to happen," I said defeatedly, slumping up against a tree. "We're not going ANYWHERE."
I shot a string of spit out of the side of my mouth. "Where is that stupid pirate anyway? Wasn't he supposed to have killed us, like, days ago?"
Gretel shrugged. "Maybe he's not GOING to kill us."
"Or maybe he figured we would die out here anyway, so what's the point in overexerting himself?"
She ran to sit down next to me.
"But what about the prophecy?"
"WHAT prophecy? I didn't see any stupid prophecy, YOU did. How do you know you aren't wrong?"
"What are the odds of two people kilometers and kilometers away from each other having the same prophecy?"
"It doesn't make it any less crazy. And how does that bring us here in the woods? Does that make any sense?"
"Maybe not," she said gently. "Listen, Hansel. We're smart, we can figure this out."
"Yeah, that bread crumb idea was REAL genius. We wasted valuable bread, and the birds ate them anyway."
"Come on, we have survival skills!"
"Gretel, we're in grade school."
"Yeah, but you graduate in two and a half months!"
"True."
"And what about all the trouble we get ourselves out of at school?" She stood up and began putting on her shoes. "Look, I'm sure someone has to live out here." She looked around frantically, and then pointed back over to the tree I was sitting up against.
"Moss points towards civilization, right?"
"No."
She sighed heavily. "Sure it does." She pulled me up by my wrist, practically tearing my arm out of its socket. "I think we should go this way."
"According to what, moss?"
"Okay, then which way do YOU think we should go?"
"Down. I want to rest. We only have a couple more hours of sunlight, anyway," I sat back down. "It gets so much darker out here with all these trees."
I couldn't help but feel terribly scared. I knew Gretel was scared, too, but she was so set in the idea that we wouldn't die out here, that we COULDN'T die out here. Not with the way that things were going to turn out, as told to her by God.
Poor Gretel.
"Okay, we'll rest here," she said. "I'll try to find food. But in the morning, we HAVE to look for a way out of here. We have to meet our mentor, and soon."
"Whatever." I turned my head up toward the sky. "I'll start a fire."
No comments:
Post a Comment